Monday, July 6, 2009

Scallop dinner

Yesterday afternoon Nick and I wandered up and down Ninth Street in Durham after taking pictures downtown for a group project. Looking for refreshment we stopped in at Ox & Rabbit for a dark chocolate milkshake. The place only just opened up in late May of last year. I may be slightly lactose intolerant, but I refuse to give up cheese and ice cream. It was creamy and delicious. After they closed at 5pm (it was Sunday, after all) we made our way to Whole Foods to spoil ourselves.

After perusing the seafood counter, we decided to bring home 6 sea scallops for a cost of $14.50. We normally don't spend this much on seafood but if you think about it, the same portion at a restaurant would cost at least double that.

For dinner Nick seared the scallops with salt and pepper. I checked our Food and Wine 2007 cookbook for instructions. I think it was the first time I opened that thing. We found it on one of our travels in northern California for only a dollar...and it was still 2007!

I made some oven-baked polenta from our trusty "Great Food Fast" cookbook (thanks, Martha Stewart!). You just pop it in the oven for 30 minutes, no stirring necessary, and you still get creamy results. I then roasted up some asparagus we had lying around in the fridge that we needed to use. Nice and easy.

Our end result?


Eaten while watching Sunday night television. A nice summer evening, I'd say.

5 comments:

Gina said...

Wow that's awesome. Great job Sharon and Nick!

Gastronomer said...

Bravo, indeed! The plating looks way profesh!

Sharona said...

Thanks guys! Nick had actually started to plop things down on the plate, so I made him start over and replate it that way for the purposes of this blog. =)

Unknown said...

Looks just like a photograph from Food & Wine! Well done. Makes me hungry, and it's only breakfast time. Thanks for sharing.

Lyndsay said...

Eric and I both say yum. The scallops look delicious. I need to start using polenta more. Let me know if you have some ideas.