Sunday, November 9, 2008

Basketball and dinner

On Wednesday I scored some tickets for us to watch a Duke basketball exhibition game. They were from campout, where I camped out for 3 days with 6 hours of sleep total and didn't get a ticket. However, my group got some so I reserved two for us and borrowed an ID from one of my half-Asian guy friends for Nick to use. Score for all Asians looking the same here, right?

We ate dinner at Nosh with Emily A. before the game. It reminded me of Pluto's in Davis because it was order at the counter and the menu was full of sandwiches, salads, and pizza. Nick went for a BLT with pasta salad, and Emily got an egg salad sandwich with couscous. I originally was going to get a sandwich as well but I saw a picture of one of their pizzas that had asiago and caramelized onions served with a mesclun salad on top.


The game was against Lenoir-Rhyne which wikipedia tells me is in Hickory, NC and is evangelical-Lutheran affiliated. Needless to say, it was a blowout. 95 to 43, I believe. The thing that was cool about going was that Cameron stadium is tiny. I think it holds 9,000 people total. And the student section is pretty much standing room only. The atmosphere was crazy and I swore I could almost touch the Duke basketball players. I can't imagine what it's like for the big games against Maryland, Georgetown, and of course, UNC. Pictures here.


On Friday night we hosted an impromptu dinner at our house. We didn't eat until really late, 9:30, but it was delicious. Nick made lentil soup with bacon and chicken with garlic, shallots, and herbs. I made sweet potato risotto and salad with the local lettuce we had. Emily made collard greens stir fried with soy sauce and sesame oil, and apple crisp with the apples we had. She even bought me lactose-free vanilla ice cream! They apparently add lactase to the mix.

I was very happy with how the risotto came out. I was a little worried when I started cooking it because I haven't ever made that much before. The arborio rice and sweet potato went together really well. Of course Nick's food was delicious, and Emily's stuff came out really well too. We brought out the last of our parmesan-black pepper bread from Guglhupf and we spread the soft garlic from the chicken on it.

Afterward we talked a lot and got to talking about boy bands of the late '90s. Emily, Lisanne, and I started singing along (and in Lisanne's case, dancing) to old Backstreet Boys videos like "I want it that way" and "Quit playing games with my heart." The guys (Nick, Martin, and Mick) got tired of this and started playing Wii sports. Later we joined them and had lots of fun. Things ended around 1am. Hopefully this bodes well for our Thanksgiving party!

1 comment:

K.B. said...

Nice. A real team to watch. Go Duke!