Friday, November 14, 2008

Finally, it's the weekend

I got through a horrible week only to prepare myself for the one that's coming up next. This past week I had two papers, a presentation, GIS, and homework due. This next week I have a take-home midterm, GIS, a 6 page single spaced paper, an abstract and press release write-up, and another presentation. All of those things except GIS are due Wednesday. Crazy!

Last night we watched "Rachel Getting Married" with some friends at the Carolina Theater in downtown Durham. The theater was creepily empty and I felt like I was in an ensemble bad horror movie. I don't think I'd be the main character so that means I'd probably come to some grisly end.

The movie proceeded to make me feel nauseated because of the shaky camera movement and quick cuts from shot to shot. I think I would have liked it better without all the movement...but it wouldn't be the same movie. I thought Anne Hathaway was excellent in it. The wedding itself was great in all its quirkiness. Not like any Chinese wedding I've been to...but those are crazy in their own ways.

Today we stayed in because of the rain, but this afternoon we stopped by the post office and small Asian market. There's a Habitat Hand-me-Up store next to the post office. It's a store that people donate things to, which customers can buy. The proceeds go to Habitat for Humanity. They have kitchen wares, books, furniture, and building supplies.

Nick and I were looking for casserole dishes. We missed the ones we left in California, and we needed some for Thanksgiving. This is what we found:


Two covered casseroles and a ceramic loaf pan. All for $16. They look like they'll last a long time, which is great because we are planning on keeping them for a while and not buying new ones and contributing to the downfall of the Earth. I love that they're plain white, too. Yay for secondhand stores! They also had a kitchenaid mixer for $75 that we briefly considered getting. You know, for all the baked goods Nick plans on making. =)

p.s. We might also be hearing good news next week. I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

K.B. said...

i think it's pretty awesome that you guys bought cookware from a thrift store. why buy high end if you're going to be moving and perhaps leave them behind. and, these are in pretty good shape. great job, eco-friendly shar and nick!