Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The right to marry is about love, not politics or religion



I am so sad that people I know voted for this ban. Even my own mom. I could only post this now, a week after the result came out, because I was so depressed. I questioned humanity and my beloved home state last Wednesday. I thought that we could be progressive there, as we have been with global warming and eliminating cigarettes from public places. I think it is fear of the unknown and of the lies that the proponents of the ban spread throughout their campaign. It is not taking away the rights of heterosexuals to marry. It's just opening the doors for them to have the same rights as we do.

People use religion as reasoning for all sorts of things. And most of the time, this is their own personal space. But when it is used to oppress a group of people, that's when it makes me angry. It is hard for me to sort out my feelings about whether there is a God and whether the way religion approaches Him is the right way. However, I feel that God, if He is there, loves everyone equally and would not support what Prop 8 denied as a basic right to every human being. I think He is wondering what we are doing to ourselves.

2 comments:

BigRed17 said...

Good post...it is rather sad. I was brought up in the Lutheran church, and I'm a registered Republican. Still, as we learned (supposedly) with the civil rights movement, separate cannot be equal. Religion has and will always complicate everything. Unfortunately, many use this as a tool to leverage votes for their causes. Some day...

Diana said...

i feel the same way! it made me sad that people i know who voted for the ban changed their minds after i talked to them about it... but it was too late. :(