Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Local Food Challenge

Nick and I are participating in the Local Food Challenge this week, where we pledge to eat local foods and be mindful of where our food comes from. To help, we ordered a local food box. It came with:

Apples, butternut and acorn squash, a bell pepper, yellow and sweet potatoes, kale, collard greens, lettuces, half a pound of black eyed peas, 1 lb of Chapel Hill Creamery farmer's cheese, two loaves of locally made bread, half a dozen free range eggs, and 1 lb of grass fed ground beef. We also got a free range roaster chicken.

Needless to say, I've been trying out new things just to use all this stuff up. Sunday we made shepherd's pie with the ground beef, potatoes, and cheese and I braised the collard greens with ham hocks for my first southern dish. Yesterday I braised the kale with chicken broth and red pepper flake. Tonight we're roasting the acorn squash. I saw a recipe for sweet potato risotto and we have some Arborio rice so I might make that.

Have any recipe ideas for what i have left? I was thinking of making a black eyed pea salad but I haven't decided yet. Let me know!

2 comments:

BigRed17 said...

Your blog makes me hungry. Come back and cook for us! I can't have another potluck at my house without your gourmet flair...

K.B. said...

Hmm...well is the flour from the local made bread from local wheat?? ;)