Sunday, March 29, 2009

Admitted students weekend

This past weekend was Admitted Students weekend here at the Nicholas School. I had signed up for several events and also to host a student because I had such a fun time last year. That weekend helped me decide to move all the way across the country!

Thursday night we all went to Satty's and semi-watched Duke blow it against Villanova. Friday morning I went to school to do some work, had lunch with Emily A. at the Refectory, then had another lunch with the prospectives. Afterward I did the program area information session for the best concentration in the whole program, Ecotoxicology and Environmental Health. We only had one student, but it was cool.

We had practice MP sessions with the 2nd years. Emily K was awesome and ordered pizza, which made it a lot more casual. I had to jet off after Kara's presentation because I had signed up for the student panel at the end of the day. There were a lot of good questions asked, and I think we all did a great job answering them.

After dinner with a bunch of people from the program and their prospectives at Toast, Nick, Emily A. and I took our prosps to Francesca's for gelato, dessert, tea and coffee. That place might be my favorite place to hang out in Durham. We then split up before heading over to the Duke Forest for the FOREM bonfire. The bonfire (more like a camp fire) was a great time, with socializing, s'more-making, and eating. My car got stuck in the mud because it had been raining, but lots of people helped us push our car out. =)

The next day I dropped my prosp off early for the morning events while I tried to do some work. The PicNic for lunch was a good event, with catered food (hamburgers and veggie dogs), egg-tossing, and fellow student Mike Roth's band Cobalt and the Hired Guns. I think all in all the weekend was a success. I definitely think the social events sell the program more than the information sessions. I hope that I helped someone feel better about their grad school decision, even if they choose not to come to Duke.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Matt from Cobalt & the Hired Guns here - that was a real fun time!