Thursday, March 19, 2009

Postsecret, etc

Nick and I went to the Postsecret event last night at Duke. I've been reading the Postsecret blog for a long time, and had always wanted to see Frank Warren in person. The event met my expectations. Frank was funny, poignant, and supportive. I think he knows how to talk to college students, to make them feel comfortable in his presence. He comes across as genuinely interested in how we are doing. This is more than I can say for a lot of adults, especially those running the administrations of school institutions across the US (my view of the high school administration is probably enough material for another post).

Emily and Tali joined us because I had four free tickets. I think they enjoyed themselves, even if they aren't avid readers of the blog. =) At the end of the talk, people were able to come up and share their secrets. There were heartbreaking, angry, empowering, and funny secrets shared.

I think I will try to attend more community events here in Durham. I am really starting to enjoy living in this city. I just bought my first Durham-themed shirt (it supported a charity). Moving to a new city and finding your bearings is an incredible experience. I'm glad Nick is along for the ride.

Tomorrow we will be attending a kickoff BBQ for Nickipedia. I'm hoping to contribute to the food pages, since I never edited any of the restaurant pages on the daviswiki like I should have. Keep asking me about it so that I have someone to check up on me, okay?

Before I forget: GO DUKE! I have never had a team to follow in this March Madness thing. It's exciting!

2 comments:

Robyn said...

aww, jealous! I so wanted to go to that, but it sold out really quickly :( Glad to hear it was so good!

Sharona said...

Yeah, I got there at 9:45am and there was no one in line. After I got in line it got really long after me. It was exciting!