Saturday, October 25, 2008

Discouragement

We did not go to the barbecue festival. It rained this morning, which discouraged us from driving 1.5 hours there and 1.5 hours back. Instead, we got Nick a cheap bow tie, a potato masher, and a probe thermometer, stopped at a local artisanal bakery (where we scored a chocolate brownie cookie, an apple danish, and a loaf of black pepper-parmesan bread), and did some grocery shopping. I got a carton of Mayfield's black walnut ice cream. A classmate from Atlanta told me it was the ice cream brand of the south.


Yesterday, we had dinner at the Honduran place with the homemade tortillas. I had a pupusa con queso and two tacos al pastor. Nick had a torta cubano and one taco lengua. Along with all that we got complimentary salsa, chips, and some pickled cabbage. I got to try my limited Spanish again and we made it out successfully. They were really nice there and seemed anxious for us to like our food. I think I'd go back for the pupusas and posole I saw on the menu, but not for tacos. I'm aiming to try a local taco stand for better tacos.

Lastly, we tried making Indian food and it was a FAIL. Better luck tomorrow with slow-cooker chicken hard shell tacos...

We also attended the theater department's production of Sweeney Todd. They did a great job, which meant I was disturbed all night and couldn't go to sleep. I will never look at a barber's razor the same way again. Or meat pies, for that matter. Nick sometimes had no idea what was going on because they were singing most of the words. It is a musical, after all, hehe.

p.s. I'm procrastinating on my epidemiology midterm. I need to decide what to take next semester. GIS lab is kicking my butt. I would welcome words of encouragement. Maybe some "Get productive, you lazy ass" comments would help as well. =)

1 comment:

Sean Baird said...

Good luck with the school stuff there. Just wanted to stop by to show I hadn't forgotten you!