Thursday, October 23, 2008

Thursday confession

I have a confession to make. I held hands with a guy other than Nick today. Don't worry...he already knows about it. Who is the lucky guy? My fellow classmate Tomer. How did this happen? It's a short story...

In the GIS lab I was working on one of the labs due next week when Tomer took the computer next to mine and remarked that he was going to be working on the same one.

I joked, "That's great! Now we can hold hands while we work through it together."
He was trying to log on so his reaction was, "uh...hold hands..."
I said, "hey, you could be a little happier about the prospect. haha"
So then he said, "You want to hold hands? We could do that." He held out his hand and we clasped hands for about 5 seconds. Then we laughed.

See, this is what grad school has reduced my daily amusement to: feeble jokes and slightly uncomfortable situations.

In other news, upcoming plans include the barbecue festival in Lexington, NC and the Hotel Cafe tour in Chapel Hill. Oh yeah, and Halloween is less than 2 weeks away!

I started to think about making a list of restaurants to try here in Durham, because I was tired of thinking about population densities and map elements. Near the top of the list is a Honduran place called Costa Azul that makes its own tortillas, and a place next to a gas station that has tamales. I learned from Hometown Chinese food in Davis that being connected to a gas station is not necessarily a bad thing.

I'm also adding Rue Cler to the list. A three course prix-fixe Parisian menu for $30? Sounds like a deal to me. The other restaurants on the list for "special occasions" include Magnolia Grill, Lantern, Nana's (a 5-course tasting menu for $50), and Vin Rouge. Note to self: budget is much smaller than when you lived in Davis and had a paying job.

I'm also angling to return to the Rockwood Filling Station because I browsed the menu some more and need to go back for two things: the Ham and Egg Pizza (featuring a sunny-side egg on top) and their custom ice cream sandwiches (your choice of homemade ice cream between two pieces of brioche). It sounds so amazing.

No comments: