Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Hotel Cafe Tour

Simply put, the concert was awesome. We headed over to Chapel Hill last night to catch the Hotel Cafe tour at the famous Cat's Cradle venue. $17 a ticket. The venue itself is pretty small and intimate, which I liked.

Samantha Crain, Thao Nguyen, Erin McCarley, Meiko, and Ingrid Michaelson all rocked it out. They each did two songs before the "break" and then they each did three songs before singing a round called "The Chain" that Ingrid Michaelson wrote.

Meiko, who I went for, was really cool to watch. You know how some performers sound worse live? She didn't. She's also cute as hell. I mean, really. I have a total crush on her.

I really liked Thao Nguyen, who I had never heard of before. She's kind of crazy on stage, but the energy is infectious. One of the highlights of the night happened when she started one of her songs by beatboxing. It was awesome!

Ingrid Michaelson was the unofficial headliner. She's the most well known, and always came on last. She's hilarious in concert and kept us laughing and singing along to her songs. She also rapped the "Fresh Prince of Bel Air" theme song while the band played the music to her "The Way I Am" song. I was amazed at how well it sounded. It was the other highlight of the night.

At the end, I managed to get Meiko to sign my cd. I wish I had brought the camera. She was really down to earth and didn't have many people clamoring to get her autograph, which surprised me. Meeting her was probably the most exciting thing to happen to me all month!

No comments: