Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Football and Pizza

This weekend Nick got to go to his first Duke football game at Wallace Wade stadium. We decided to go because it was homecoming and we knew the stadium would be packed. As we were waiting to park, I bought Nick a scalped ticket for $15. We started laughing when we realized we bought a $10 group ticket that was bought in the name of a local Baptist church. It's kind of ironic, don't you think?

The game against Miami University started off well. Traditionally, Duke football has been bad. Downright sucks, in fact. With our third win this season we have won more games in like the last 5 seasons combined. It's crazy. We answered Miami's touchdowns with some of our own, and even had a 10-point lead at one point. Then...it unraveled. We couldn't convert, we dropped passes, we committed errors. Before long Duke was losing badly so we left. It was quite depressing to lose a homecoming game. At least at UCD it always seemed like we played the worst teams in the league so that we'd be sure to win the homecoming game. By the way, I'm putting up some pics from the day on facebook.

Nick, Emily, and I consoled ourselves by dropping by Rockwood Filling Station for some neapolitan pizza. The wait on a busy Saturday night was long, but after 45 minutes we scored some seats at the bar. I could see the wood oven going on through a window the the kitchen. Emily and I ordered salads to start and each of us got a pizza. Let's just say the salads aren't as great as the pizzas. Emily had a custom pizza with pesto and goat cheese. I had the white pizza which had artichokes, caramelized onions, ricotta, and goat cheese. Nick got the chicken liver pizza that had mozzarella, pancetta, and battered chicken livers on top.

Here are some photos:
Iceberg wedge salad with crispy pancetta and bleu cheese dressing

Custom pesto goat cheese

The White Pizza

Scott's Chicken Liver Pizza

It was all delicious. I'll be returning for their other pizzas and their homemade ice cream. The bartender, Terence, who served us was awesome. He gave Emily some free prosecco that another table decided they didn't want. I also introduced myself to the guy that runs the front of the house, John. I read on some other blogs that he opened the place with Scott Howell, who is the chef and owner of nearby fancier restaurant Nana's restaurant. John even remembered all of our names as he said goodbye on our way out. Bonus points!

The pizza reheated the next day was still great, if you were wondering. I ate it while slaving over my ecotoxicology midterm. I just finished that today and I'm beat. Now Nick and I are off to secure our Halloween costumes at the local thrift store. It's gonna be an exciting week!

update
Nick and i got our costumes and it's going to be awesome! We need a few more pieces, though.

No comments: